Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Saturday, March 14, 2009

craftsmanship...





I love old books and I suppose I am judging a book by its cover when I talk about craftsmanship...it seems in days of yor people designed books differently. There were no dust covers and instead allot of them had these beautiful illustrated pictures or relief drawings stamped into the cloth...one of my favorite things to do is to poke around the book section of the second hand stores and see what treasures I can find...here are a few of my treasures which I keep in a little row on top of my sideboard...its a small art piece honoring a time gone by when book design and book binding were perhaps a bit more involved than it is now...I know there are many gorgeous books out there being published but it's just not the same...finding one of these lovely spines on a dusty row of used books is always a treat.

No comments: