Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Hidden stories...





Just down the road from my house there is a 300 acre property that used to be some rich guys hunting lodge who graciously donated it to Scouts Canada. It now houses a variety of cabins, bunk houses and common kitchen buildings. There are some beautiful trails in there around the lake and quite often Griffin and I go on walk abouts for hours exploring...I have this thing where if I see an interesting bend in the road or a path leading off the beaten track, I just have to explore it. This is where I came across these amazing carvings in the woods...who are they? who carved them? My sad fantasy is the lonely old woodsman who lost his wife and child in a tragic accident and has immortalized them in wood...my happy fantasy is some farmer who used to take his afternoon break in there with a beer and some carving tools...I also love when I find old fence posts and rusty barbed wire...signs of an old farm or homestead..some exploring...maybe find an old dump in the woods with some depression era broken dishes or old glass bottles..you just never know what you're going to find on the path less traveled.

No comments: