Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Sunday, December 6, 2009

BBRRRRRR!!!


When I woke at 6 this morning the power was out...we were having a wicked wind storm all night and it was only a matter of time before this happened. We're used to this kind of thing but after the hurricane we had here 3 years ago, everyone is a bit nervous when wind warnings get posted on the weather channel...The wood stove is our best friend during these dark days and it is not only our heat source, but also a cookstove if we are without power...
This past October, I was lucky enough to have a pair of Anna's hummingbirds start coming to the feeder...

...the Rufus hummingbird stays from about April to August, then flys south but these little guys are here year round...I try to take pictures of them at the feeder like I do with the Rufus....





...but the Anna's are much more shy. The zoom lens is a great thing for birdwatching....

It has been -6 at night now and the winds today were fierce. I wonder where these tiny creatures go at night and how on earth do they stay warm?  I imagine the pair of them cuddled up inside the knothole of a big tree..shutting down for the night...side by side so they look like one fuzzy ball of feathers....I'll help them along through winter with the sweet sugar water they need to survive...

And me? I'm happy inside with the wood fire glow and candles burning...




2 comments:

julia said...

Lovely stove!
I hope your power is back soon, here in England we had no storm, no bad weather at all, just an inexplicable cut in electricity. I know its silly but it makes me feel vulnerable since w/o it we're helpless, and cold.
Give me a woodstove, a few candles and the warmth of French neighbours and I can cope with anything!

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love the cold. It makes you realise how vulnerable we all are...sometimes it can reach right into your core! We don't know how easy we have it sometimes...the touch of a button and it all goes away!!!