Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

simple things

This is a tiny little bowl made in Scotland. It measures about 5 cm across. It holds a few little acorn caps and sits on my windowsill. It is old and smooth and I love it for these few reasons...there is a beauty in such things...

When I first started this blog, I thought it would be used as a journal and to publish the many pictures I take...after all, why let them sit in a dusty corner of my folders on my pc. It wasn't intended to make me famous or to sell my artwork or even for others to read but just as notes to myself to record the simple things in life that make it all beautiful. I walk my dog every morning, rain, snow or shine and this is the time of day in which I can reflect on things around me...The first soft light on the tops of the trees...frost sparkling on the edges of leaves...blackbird songs in early spring...I am not solving world peace or inventing the next miracle cure but the tiny things in my life are great to me and I feel they deserve to be obsevered.
Maybe someday a great grandchild will wonder what I was like and will find these notes as an insght to what interested me, what provoked my  thoughts and how I saw this world....Now that I have been blogging and peaking into others blogs, I find it is the simple ones about daily life which I enjoy and how people live and learn...how they observe the bits and pieces which gather their lives together...what touches their hearts and minds. For when we all know a little about one another the world becomes a smaller, more intimate place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's something that I think about a lot...that if we did keep this blogging thing up till our latter years...how would our memoirs appear to our children over time...can't wait to see!!! Or else it will get to the stage where blogging will be really uncool and something more hip will push it aside...who knows really??? I just hope that whatever is written will stand the test of time!!