Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Soft weather...

The last few days we've been muted by soft weather....gentle rain and quiet fog...
Although it's beginning to feel like spring, I hesitate to get my hopes up too high for it's only January.
Weather on the west coast can be a sneaky thing...one minute the birds are singing to the warmth and the next we are huddled by the stove with big cups of tea in hand.
I've been experimenting with this gadget that I borrowed from a friend quite a while ago (remember, Jenny?) and the term is called 'through the viewfinder'. The contraption looks like this...
It's a lense taken from an old Brownie camera, wrapped up in black cardboard and lots of duck tape, and strapped onto the lense of a present day camera...The tricky part is making sure that no light creeps in and viewing everything upside down and backwards...anyway yesterday I thought I would go out around the barn and garden and try it out...
I like how it gives the feel of something vintage and on days like this, a  bit haunted...
The old wrecks in the garden look even more ancient ...
These photos remind me of looking at old slides.
Which reminds me...I'll have to dig ours out of the closet one of these days...

3 comments:

farmlady said...

This is fasinating! I so impressed with your creative ingenuity.
The photos are wonderful.

farmlady said...

This is fas(c)inating! (Didn't check my spelling)

Jenny said...

I can't believe I missed this post! Actually, the whole camera is in that contraption and I bet we could make it even better if we tried it with different old reflex cameras...

I like the bicycles. :)