Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Who's there?

5:38 A.M.
Tom has just left for work. Griffin and I still snoozing away, when....
Rumbling on the back porch...
Griffin goes ballistic....
I jump out of bed and see, without my glasses, what I think in my 5:38 A.M brain, is a big black dog.
Then I remember where I am and grab my camera...
This is what I see.
I let him get away a bit before releasing the hound. Griffin chases him away while I clean up the Rubbermaid bin which contained dog food. I bring the bin in the house.
We have had this locked lid container out here for 6 years and have never had any wildlife come to try and get into it.
We go back to bed.
6:00 A.M...
He's back.
This time I let Griffin go straight away.
The bear takes off out back and up a tree for a few seconds, gets down has a good rub against the tree and down into the woods he goes...
This kind of visitor is NOT welcome.
This bear is getting too close to the houses around here and he is only going to get himself killed.
With children and livestock around, it is a dangerous thing to have him around.
Unfortunately, part of the problem is development. Loss of habitat.
Even more disturbing though is people who don't take precautions with their garbage and those who actually feed wildlife.
The people who live on the property which borders ours think it's 'sweet' to feed the deer.
Well, it's not only the deer who come around now but ravens and bears, raccoons and possibly cougars when no one is watching.
I will have to make a call to the Conservation Officer this morning.
I will not only report the bear but also my neighbour. It is unwise to feed wildlife, illegal and dangerous.
I don't like to make this kind of call but this bear and possibly others are getting too close for comfort.
In the fall they come around to take fruit from the trees which is not good either but understandable.
Coming onto the back porch is NOT GOOD!
I hope this little bear has taken off into the woods and finds a deep shaded spot.
Hopefully Griffin's barking has given him the warning signal to stay away.

5 comments:

myletterstoemily said...

and i worry about your sweet griffin!!

we have the same problem in crested
butte. last year a bear tore the garage
door off to get to the trash can.

there are signs everywhere to hide
your trash, but the bears are getting
more clever . . . and more lazy.

Tatersmama said...

This "little guy" probably has another friend with him somewhere... or possibly a mama bear! We used to get them quite often when I was living in the mountains, and they used to scare me to death! Now, I hear that northern California Lake Tahoe is having a REAL problem with them, with some of my relatives going to the point of wrapping barbed wire everywhere!

Brenda Stratton said...

You certainly live an interesting life farmlass. I love your musings, stories and photographs. Thanks for keeping us up to date on the bees...I wonder will the bears smell the honey? Perhaps you could have a picnic! :)xxxb

Linda said...

great photos, but a scary time, watch out for the bigger version that might be somewhere close

Cobalt Violet said...

Oh my ... so cute ... in photos! Having been a city girl for so long now, I don't know what I would have done!
Frozen ... or screamed. I can't believe you had your wits about you enough to take pictures!

Hope the bear stays away for your sake and his.
Have a great weekend!