Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

In the garden...

I was out wandering around the garden yesterday and took some shots of what's going on...
Have you ever seen a bug like this on your plants?
 Never fear!
It's just a baby lady bug...they are especially fond of hops.
Yup, the stuff you put in beer.
You can see them in all different stages of development...
 Already working hard at keeping the bad bugs away...
And working on growing some spots too...
There's still a little cluster of bees leftover from the big swarm we had on this post in the garden.
I'm working on 'adopting' them and getting them into a hive of my own for the winter.
Sunflowers always make me smile.
They have such individual characters...
There's a reason they call it a butterfly bush...
 Even though we just had a week of extremely hot weather, today there is a coolness about the air...
the season is definitely changing.
I absolutely  love autumn.
Pulling on my Aran sweater, crunching through piles of leaves, canning and thinking of projects for those rainy days in the studio...
Sometimes change feels good.






2 comments:

Sherry O'Keefe said...

that first shot of the sunflower (reddish) is astounding. and thank you for the photo of the hops- i get stuck at a desk job for too many hours, which your photos sweeten for me.

Cobalt Violet said...

Gorgeous post. Thanks for the lady bug shots, I had no idea! Lovely garden ... wish it felt like fall here. It's about 95 degrees in my apartment. Maybe 92.