Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Jammin'...

 A few years back I was making use of the bounty of blackberries here, making jam.
Wanting to try something different, I started looking around the garden for a companion to those luscious black beauties...
And there...right under my nose...
Yup...lavender.
And so was born my locally famous blackberry lavender jam.
Yesterday it was off to Regina's kitchen to do some jammin'...
She's one of my biggest fans of the jam and I decided to show her how its done...
Canning supplies all packed up...
Jars warming in the oven...
Crush the berries slightly...
Bubble, bubble, cook, stir...
At this point I add about 3 or 4 stalks of lavender flowers. Don't worry about stalks or seeds or bits like that because I put them through a food mill before putting into jars...
And VOILA!
I like canning with someone else...sort of a traditional girl thing to do isn't it?
Wish I had a giant kitchen to have 2 stoves going and a whole gaggle of people canning together...
Maybe I should ask for this one for Christmas...
A girl can dream can't she?!

No comments: