Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Shedding some light...

Last night when I got home from work, glass of wine in hand, dinner from the new Mexican take out,
I switched on the telly to find this...
I have to admit, I'm a sucker for a cheesy Christmas movie and this is about THE CHEESIEST!
So I decided while I was half watching, I would dig out these boxes...
The forgotten ones.
They sit up in the barn loft for most of the year, keeping the spiders and mice company.
Gathering dust from the summer heat...waiting for their time to shine.
Opening these boxes is a kick to the memory...
Trinkets, from near and far.
From the long ago and the not so distant past...
And so out they come for a month, brightening up the side board...
Sparkle reflecting fairy lights and candles...
Keeping the dark days at bay...
Thoughts of Christmas past brought back through a thin layer of glass...
New decorations, with their own stories to add to the box.
Out and about for another season to shine.

4 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

Oh I love your Christmas pretties and I love corny Christmas movies too!

farmlady said...

I'm up late. Waiting to take more meds before I go to bed. I finished a knitted scarf and watched the last half of the same "corny" Christmas movie; White Christmas. Yes, it's a bit corny but the music is wonderful.
You photos are wonderful. It was a lovely post to look at before I turn the lights out.

Marylinn Kelly said...

The sparkle and warm, muted glow are what say Christmas to me. That and the music. Seeing your Steiff lion prompts me to share that I just received photos from my childhood friend, on the island of Molokai, who decorated her tree with all her Steiff toys, the little bat with wings spread as the angel at the top.

Cobalt Violet said...

Love Christmas treasures and the stories behind them.

Yes, it is quite the cheesy movie but I can't resist it! I love "When your worried and you can't sleep, just count your blessings, instead of sheep ..." My mom taught me that years ago and I get all weepy. Ah, Christmas. :)