Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Sunday, January 30, 2011

routines...

Do you have certain routines in the morning?
When I'm not working, I have a few habits
Are these considered ritual?
Perhaps anything which is practiced on a regular basis would be.
I mean, my world doesn't fall apart if I can't or don't do them.
I guess that would be more of an O.C disorder....
but...
I must admit, I have a small list of simple comforts that bring me a little bit of joy each day.
The last few months since our cat Rueben has been ill, he's taken to curling up with us in bed.
For him, this is a bit unusual since he's not a real cuddly kind of cat.
More of a rebel rouser.
Anyway, after Tom goes to work at about 5:30 a.m, Rueben is usually found tucked into the space on the comforter, between my head and bent knees, in the space beside my belly,
Then it's Griffins turn to be 'invited' up.
The reason he waits till Tom has gone is that, well, he's just too big to fit up there when the two of us are in bed. (although he does try once in a while!)
We (cat, dog and myself) snooze there for another hour and a half or so.
Get up, let the chickens and goats out.
Then it's time for Griffins morning walk.
I must admit, there are days when this is not what I want to do, but once up and out...things are grand.
Summer mornings are always easier than wet January ones.
When we get home, it's feeding time for the animals. 
THEN I sit down for my mug...
I bought this monster mug in Dublin and sometimes it's full of my brewed coffee, other times it's a big cup of tea.
Twinnings makes a good batch.
Turn on the CBC radio show.
And finally before I set out to do other daily stuff, I sit down and catch up with all of you and your worlds.
It's my downtime before life takes over and the yang presides over the yin.
I believe these little habits are somewhat healthy for our souls.
It makes me feel balanced in a way.
Of course animals are a real gauge on routine and if things are out by half an hour or so 
they start to wonder "what's up?"
Today is Sunday and that's a day when I try not to make big plans.
It's a goof around kind of day. 
Catch up on a few chores, take the nieces and nephews for a walk, go visiting, that sort of thing.
...maybe have an adventure or two to tell the world!

2 comments:

gz said...

We pattern our lives, our morning routine gets us going and into gear!
I can't be up and out in five minutes every time...I'm sure I forget things when I do that!!

Tatersmama said...

And here I thought it was me...lol!
I like the comfort and the knowing-ness of my morning routine, because it's just about the only "routine thing" once the day well and truly takes hold.