Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Out and about...

Take a close look at this flower...
How exotic is that!?
Now stand back a bit...
...a little farther...
That's right...it's the little clover plant.
Who knew it could look so incredible upon close inspection?
Paired with this dark little sedge grass, it makes a really sweet little posey...
Have you ever really smelled clover?
Her little round mop head, tinged with a blush of pink...
It's quite heavenly...
Ah...lay me down in a field of clover...let the drone of bees fill the air...
On my afternoon walk I also found beauty in something small...
A garter snake had been warming itself in the sun and after it slithered away
I found this completely intact shed...
Do you know it takes from 3 days to a week for this process to occur?
Imagine the patience it takes to shed your skin?
There's been times when I wished I could do the same, although much quicker...
Upon close examination, I found only one small opening near the head.
The whole snake comes out of this one tiny slit...
Quite a few people are afraid of snakes.
Me? not so much.
The fear comes from a primal instinct in us that tells us that snakes are deadly.
Luckily not in this part of the world, so I suppose I've grown up knowing that
the surprise factor of seeing one slither away from under foot is
the only thing that really gives me a jump.
I used to love picking them up as a kid, feeling their alien skin.
Now I know how stinky they can be and leave that job up to my nephews.
Looking quietly and closely at the small and seemingly insignificant in nature
is a blessing for me in the middle of a busy world.

5 comments:

farmlady said...

I feel like I recieved a gift with this post.
The gift of seeing:The amazingly beautiful wildflower that looked like a prized garden hybrid and the shedding of my winter skin. I'm ready for Summer now.
Thank you....

the wild magnolia said...

Great photos....being in the clover and all...and ending with the snake skin. Shivers!

Thank you, for sharing!

gz said...

It is good to really look at what you can see

Cobalt Violet said...

Wow, gorgeous photos of the clover flower!
Reminds us to take a closer look!

I can relate to the snake ... the patience to shed ones skin. Been working on that one for a while!

Hope you are having a wonderful week Kerry!

Mary said...

I am having a blast looking through your posts. Boy have i been missing out! I love clover. One of my favorite flowers. I tend to love the wild ones better than the cultivated. Clover honey is divine.