Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Saturday, October 15, 2011

harvest time...

Sometimes I spot an absolutely perfect photo op...
This time it was a gorgeous autumn day and the pumpkins were out in all their glory!
... basking in the October sun...
How could you not love all of those bald orange heads!
 ...just waiting to be picked, taken home, carved and
 to be the one shining it's light through a dark, fall evening ...
...or maybe turned into a thousand pies!
Nothing signals the end of October like these giants of all veggies...
There they sit in fields and gardens, after months of care and attention...
 ...along with crisp apples, the last of the harvest.
And just like that, I woke this morning to frigid air.
As I walked with Griffin, my breath swirled around in the morning light.
A light frost covered the leaves.
Is it really time to say goodbye to summer?
I would say so!
Hello to my woolen hats and gloves.
Don the leather boots and light the stove.


"They’s something kindo’ harty-like about the atmusfere
When the heat of summer’s over and the coolin’ fall is here—
Of course we miss the flowers, and the blossums on the trees,
And the mumble of the hummin’-birds and buzzin’ of the bees;
But the air’s so appetizin’; and the landscape through the haze
Of a crisp and sunny morning of the airly autumn days
Is a pictur’ that no painter has the colorin’ to mock—
When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder’s in the shock."

James Whitcomb Riley





2 comments:

the wild magnolia said...

Twas a fine visit I had here today. A fall I will experience only in pictures and words this year.

farmlady said...

Oh yes,your post to my heart.
I saw a small tree today in a parking lot. It was the most beautiful maple tree I have ever seen. The color of it's leaves were... almost not real. The red of poems and paintings. I stood there for a few minutes just looking at this amazing tree.
It was then I knew that Autumn was finally here. I went into the store and bought PUMPKINS, and Indian corn. We had sweet potatoes for dinner.
It was a orangey red kind of day. Now... if our weather would just GET COLD, life would be complete.
I won't miss summer at all.

Wonderful photos. You have taken pumpkins to a whole new level of beauty.