Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Everybodies talkin'....

I have so many adventures to tell you about. We just came home from
Seattle and my head is full with tales of our Stateside neighbouring city.
Before I sort the stories out let me go back 2 weeks ago...
Seems this time of year, everyone is talking berries.
So for now I will start simple with something I did before we left.
Something I had never done before.
I made a huckleberry pie!
Usually the berries are so small and not really abundant and
are mostly eaten 'at the bush'.
Because of our rather wet summer so far, there were more than enough.
I took Griff out early one morning down the road by the creek.
I have never seen so many huckleberries so big!
I have never even had huckleberry pie.
 I also loved saying it...
"I'm going to make a huckleberry pie!"
Such a fun word, huckleberry.
Just rolls off your tongue like a little song...
huckleberry pie
huckleberry pie
goin' to make me one of those
huckleberry pies!
I stood at the edge of the woods, serenaded by
early morning birdsong.
Raked my fingers through the tiny leaves and dropped
the small red morsels into my bucket.
When I got home, I had to clean the berries of tiny twigs
and leaves and bugs and rinse them and drain them.
Quite a labour of love but OH! That pie was
DELICIOUS!
So if you can, go out and get yerself some of that huckleberry pie!

3 comments:

Cobalt Violet said...

Oh my gosh that looks delicious!!! Yum!!! :)

farmlady said...

This could become a dangerous habit... making Huckleberry pie... Oh my!
Those photos of the pie are wonderful. Enjoy every delicious bite!!

Marylinn Kelly said...

My first huckleberries. I didn't know they looked like that. How gorgeous and plentiful. xo