Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

It's a small world after all...

The other day I took Griffin for a walk down on part of the Galloping Goose trail
that is rich with moss and lichen and arbutus trees.
I was so taken by the many shades, textures and colours and I decided
to gently bring home some tiny bits of this vast world
to create my own miniature landscape...
 I used this old, thick glass fish bowl that I bought in a thrift store in Seattle years ago.
Put some various shapes and sizes of rocks in the bottom for drainage.
 I needle felted a few tiny sheep to settle in amongst the minuscule hills and fallen trees...
The variations of greens takes me back to my days in Ireland...
'Tell me what you pay attention to and I'll tell you who you are'
Jose Ortega y Gasset
So much in this world is walked over and missed.
When Dr Seuss wrote 'Horton hears a Hoo' I knew exactly what he was thinking.
 
 
 


3 comments:

Mary said...

What a beautiful idea and post! And i love your adorable little sheep. Thank you for this morning magic! And you're right. We need to notice what's beneath our feet often. :)

Mairéad said...

What a nice idea and I love your sheep!
Came across an exhibition of felted work in the library today & thought of your creations.

farmlady said...

I love the Gasset quote. It's so true and I suspect that this makes folks like you and I a couple of felted sheep in a world of lichen cover rocks.
Lovely post.