Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Bits and bobs of green...

Happy St Patrick's Day to you all!
It's a half sun half cloud day here on the coast
 and the spring is coming on with many shades of green.
The weather is typically March changing every five minutes but
it's this climate that I love, I can't complain.
Must be in my blood.
Speaking of green...
I thought today I would share some of my favorite green things...
Some pretty little pieces of Irish porcelain found in the thrift shop.
 I can't resist those sweet little shamrocks!...
 Another thrift store find was this travel book published in 1939...
 It's full of stories and pictures from a time long vanished.
The inside cover has a lovely vintage map to gaze upon and dream of another trip someday...
My favorite green velvet scarf and the one decent thing I ever knitted, a hat, with wool from Ireland...
A green Irish linen blouse...from the thrift store as well!
A few postcards sent home from the Motherland...
...this was attached to a sweater I bought on the Aran Islands...
Did you know that each family had their own stitch so that if a fisherman
drowned, they could identify him by the stitches on his sweater?
These are but a few of my favorite photos I took in Ireland.
( I've probably posted a few of these before so pardon my love of these times.)
The first is my dad's hand near his pint in a pub in Dingle.
One of those priceless nights we had on our travels...
One of the most beautiful places on earth, The lakes of Killarney...
 Galway at dawn on a Sunday morning...
 My daughter Aja and my dad strolling in the rain on the Aran Islands...
 The amazing Atrim coast of Northern Ireland
A card a friend sent to me once with an Irish blessing to pass on to you all...
...and what St Patrick's Day wouldn't be complete without a wee jig ...
Ladies and Gents...
The Pogues.  
 
If I should fall from grace with god
Where no doctor can relieve me
If I'm buried 'neath the sod
But the angels won't receive me

Let me go, boys
Let me go, boys
Let me go down in the mud
Where the rivers all run dry



5 comments:

Mary said...

What magnificent things and photos. I love the one of your Dad in the pub, Kerry. So special. And i love the mug with the miniature shamrocks. Unique and very lucky! :)

Unknown said...

What a fun collection of things Irish. I enjoyed the variety. Lovely photos of Ireland. Wow. The stone fences are quite a work of art...and function!

Mairéad said...

Belated St Patrick's Day greetings.
I love your photos from Ireland, especially your one of your Dad in the pub. And the north Antrim coast is one of my favourite places.

Cobalt Violet said...

Wow! What an awesome St. Patty's day post!!! Great shots of beautiful places and green things! I did get out for a Guinness that evening! By the way LOVE the green hat!!!

Melody said...

I don't know how I missed seeing this before!!
I LOVE this post... *sigh* just wonderful photos!
The one of your Dad's hand/glass in the pub is my favorite! Fabulous!
Could you see Rathlin Island out to sea the coast of Antrim?
One day...I need to get there.