Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Observations from a Sunday morning....

It's a beautiful autumn morning here on the Island.
The sun has been a friend to us for yet a few more days, her
strength for warmth fading but all the same, keeping us warm in spirit.
Tomorrow is Canadian Thanksgiving so I'm off to visit
my family for turkey and pumpkin cheesecake squares with whipping cream...
but before I do I thought I'd share some of my morning walk photos.
Today it's all about the mushrooms...
the deadly but beautiful aminita...
...the tasty little puffball
 (had some of these sauteed with garlic and kale the other night...dee-lish!)
I know for sure about 6 edible mushrooms and unless I'm 100 percent
positive, nothing goes on my plate.
A lot of these will just have to be looked at today...
There were mushrooms EVERYWHERE I looked today and poor Griffin
had to patiently wait while I bent down on hands and knees to take in their fleeting appearance...
The common name of some mushrooms conjure up images of fairey folk, woodland shadows,
deep, dark mysterious tales of yore...
elfin saddle
witches butter
goats foot
destroying angel
death cap
tree ears
Satans bolete
swollen stalked cat
green pinafore
octopus stinkhorn...
the list goes on.
And it's also the time of delicate, dripping morning spider webs...
Queen Anne's lace....closed for the season...
bed time for ladybugs...
The cool nights have given leaves their brightest dress...
Some of the beauty outside my door which I am forever Thank-full for.
Happy Thanksgiving fellow Canucks!


4 comments:

fabriquefantastique said...

fantastic photos....I wish I was as good.

Laura said...

I'm so happy to have discovered your blog and to join you on your morning walk... beautiful!!!!

Unknown said...

I am not so familiar with mushrooms, and I am amazed at the variety. Thanks for the brief lesson. Your photos are fantastic. The spider webs are so cool.

Acornmoon said...

Great photos Kerry! and a happy Thanksgiving to you. x