Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Monday, March 3, 2014

...back again

And so here we are, back again to the present day...
rain and drizzle under pewter skies.
Even though it was wet and dreary out, I took my camera with me on my errand
to pick up the milk at the farm.
The ducks were happy in the rain but were all a flutter while I was there...
 It was like an army of squawking, flapping, curious feathered soldiers
came to inspect just exactly what I was doing on THEIR farm!
 These are Muscovy ducks, native to Mexico, Central and South America...
 They have strange, fleshy bits on their heads that makes them look rather scary...
 This little gal was happy under a bit of shelter...
How's this for a handsome couple...
If you're a duck I suppose...
The dairy cows were hanging out in the pasture...
Here is Canella and her calf she had last summer...

Hello!
This farm is over a hundred years old and has some of those lovely aged features...
...weathered wood...
 ..rusty bits...
...my favorite, mossy rock walls...
I could never get enough of these when I was in Ireland...

 Definite signs of spring are on the way!
Inside one of the barns it was just me and the old truck...
 hello again!
So there you go...a few bright faces to lighten up the low skies

3 comments:

gz said...

Now who drew the eyes on the truck...?!

I used to have Muscovy Ducks....and I wonder how they got that name, seeing as where they come from......?

Unknown said...

Interesting pictures of the ducks; I've not seen that kind of duck before. The cows look content, the old barn wood is wearing well, the old truck is nicely protected, and all are doing well, enduring the rainy weather. Thanks for the tour of the farm...and it's great to see spring emerging!!

Mairéad said...

What a lovely place to buy your milk!
It's a great old farm and those cows are so pretty.
We had a small herd of diary cows when I was a kid so I have a soft spot for cows :)