Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Friday, April 24, 2015

Etsy finds...

There's something special about getting a package in the post.
In this day and age of online, digital bla bla bla it's so nice to 
see a hand written, brown paper parcel in the mailbox.
Especially when it has that big gold Royal Mail stamp on it!
...I'm always intrigued by the return address' in the UK...
Maybe it's the child in me that thinks of Dr Doolittle's house in Puddleby on the Marsh.
Maybe the actual place isn't the storybook English village I imagine but it's fun to think that.
I just sent off a sculpture to an address of 7 Horsecart Lane...How pretty does that sound?
Anyway, back to my package...
I love when someone take the time to wrap up their product in a pretty or interesting way...
You would think I ordered the finest linen in Provence the way its wrapped.
But alas! it is one of my favourite things to do sculptures on...
Antique wooden bobbins from England!
Have a look in Brocanteart's shop if you are at all interested in vintage
decorative antiques, textiles and haberdashery (love that old world word!)
If they could only talk...
Maybe they would tell the tails of the grand fabric mills that once dotted the
countryside of the UK.
(image from Henry Clark on Wikipedia of the Gilford Mill in Northern Ireland)
I love a thing with history...
They are perfect little stands for my felted pieces...
(...who have since gone on to other places.)
Two days later I received another package of something else I couldn't resist on Etsy...
Again, packaged in a gorgeous little morsel of a box...
Reminded me of something my grandma would have kept a precious ring in...
In this case it was this lovely resin cameo...
Delicate shades of carnelian and ivory...
This from a seller who has all sorts of cool vintage treasures...
Have a look here
Pinkys of Saratoga Springs in the US.
So there you go...a few great little finds from our beloved Etsy packaged with care and thought!

PS
(If you have any nice wooden spools you might want to de-stash in exchange
for a sculpture, let me know!)

3 comments:

Wysteria said...

Very cute! I am glad to find your blog again!

Acornmoon said...

Lovely Etsy finds, I well remember Lancashire when we had working cotton and woollen mills.

Unknown said...

I would be excited by the arrival of such a package too!! The personal touches in the wrapping are a wonderful treat. I love the idea of re-purposing antiques.