Search This Blog

...a glimpse into life on Vancouver Island, needle felting, photography, food, gardening, etcetera...etcetera
"Happiness always looks small when you hold it in your hands, but let it go, and at once you learn how big and precious it is."
Maxim Gorky

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

New kid on the block...

Sometimes things have to sit and simmer before they "become".
I had made a mouse that ended up looking like a rat but I wanted a mouse.
Then I needed the eyes from the rat for the new mouse.
So the rat sat in a corner of my studio, blind and on the back burner....
Until one day I thought "this little guy needs a life".
I don't like to have too many UFO's in my studio.
(that's 'unfinished objects')
I had just got a new shipment of eyes and they were just the ticket to 
get this little guy back on his little rat feet agin.
But it wasn't just the eyes...he needed something else...
Oh, I know...how about some work socks and gumboots?
Out came the Fimo clay and I baked a fresh new pair.
Now since it's harvest time I figured maybe a little pumpkin was in order...
Yup...things were looking up for the young rat lad.
Of course he might need a wee cap with all this rain we've been having...
Acorn tops are the perfect soloution!
Some donkey fir for whiskers.
And we shall call him 'Percy'!
I made him a little wooden platform covered in nice felt and did a blanket stitch around the edges with some vintage linen thread from Northern Ireland
 (thanks for the thread Gillian!)...
 One last look...
Available in here my etsy shop 
Sorry, Percy has now been sold!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, he's sooooo cute!!! Well done. Love all the details.

Katherine Dunn/Apifera Farm said...

He's wonderful! And I have to learn that stitch you used on the pillow he stands on.

Cobalt Violet said...

Ugh! LOVE mice. I used to collect them as a kid. This one is so cute!!!

Suz said...

can't wait to place him on the shelf with bear and owl

Acornmoon said...

Aww, bless his little whiskers. x